Tombolo Academy is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy.
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practice tolerance and understanding of others’ beliefs.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the school community regardless of background.
Tombolo Academy provides an inclusive education system that enables all twice-exceptional students to be welcomed, accepted and engaged so that they can participate, achieve and thrive in school life. Inclusive education:
- Ensures that students with disabilities are not discriminated against and are accommodated to participate in education on the same basis as their peers.
- Acknowledges and responds to the diverse needs, identities and strengths of all students.
- Occurs when students with disabilities and additional needs are treated with respect and are involved in making decisions about their education.
- Benefits students of all abilities in the classroom and fosters positive cultural change in attitudes and beliefs about disability, in and beyond the school environment.
- Contributes to positive learning, engagement and wellbeing outcomes for students.
This Statement of Democratic Principles is communicated to staff, students, parents and guardians and the school community.